Hi, I'm looking forward to this workshop, particularly in sunny Nelson! Great to catch up with those I've worked with in the past and with those new to our process. DoView is a new way of doing strategy/outcomes which people find accessible and fun.
Learning outcomes from this workshop: 1) basic understanding of using DoView software (the brand new DoView 4.0 and DoView Pro 4.0!); 2) how to build a great DoView outcomes model (whether you call it an intervention logic, program logic, results chain . . .); 3) using a DoView outcomes model for planning and outcomes within DoView Outcomes-Based Visual Planning; 4) information on measuring your impact using controllable performance indicators and what you should be held to account for; and, 5) your path forward in using the DoView approach.
If you have any questions prior to the workshop, please contact me from the contact page.
Below is what we would like you to do before the workshop, this is focused on getting you up to speed with using DoView software. In the actual workshop the emphasis will be on using the DoView approach, not just on using DoView software.
Before the workshop please:
DoView for PC
DoView for Mac (OSX 10.6 and later)
4.0 opens files saved in earlier versions, but files saved in 4.0 can't be opened in earlier versions.
Mac version issue - sometimes when more than one DoView window is open, the file selection window can't be closed by just clicking on CANCEL. To close it, push Esc. As a precaution, save your work regularly. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have this problem so we can monitor when it occurs.
IT Department - information about DoView if they need it. here Once you have DoView installed you will be able to open this DoView file here
Below is what will be covered in the workshop (you don't need to look at this before the workshop unless you want to)
1. Overview of what outcomes theory is - the conceptual framework and set of principles for thinking about all the issues involved in outcomes, their measurement, attribution and accountability in any area of work in any sector (http://doview.com/outcomes-theory-simplified)
2. Present the Outcomes System Diagram - this diagram provides you with the basis for coherently responding to demands that you 'prove you are making a difference to high-level outcomes'. (http://www.doview.com/outcomes-theory-simplified/outcomes-system-diagram.html)
3. Overview of DoView Outcomes-Based Visual Planning. (DoView Planning Basic Resources).
4. Overview of the Outcomes Model Rules for building outcomes DoViews (the particular type of intervention logic, program logic, results chain) that we use within the DoView approach. (DoView.com/plan/draw.html) (Outcomes Model Rules Workbook)
5. Reference to the Impact Evaluation Feasibility Check - a list of the seven major impact evaluation design types that can be used to establish that you are having an impact on high-level outcomes. (DoView.com/plan/impact.html).
7. Looking at an example, the Child Cancer Foundation DoView.