Participant Information | Preparation | Materials for in the workshop
Information for workshop participants.
We will be looking at the best way of assessing, and communicating to funders and stakeholders, the impact of the CIFOR Climate Change Work Program. The approach we will be using is DoView/Outcomes Theory Impact Assessment.
DoView/Outcomes Theory Impact Assessment
The approach uses four steps.
1. Building a particular type of visual model of the program called an Outcomes DoView. This is drawn according to Duignan's Outcomes Model Rules (http://doview.com/plan/draw.html).
2. Showing how you have focused your activity to achieve the biggest 'bang for buck' impact. This uses DoView Line-of-Sight Analysis which visually shows where on the Outcomes DoView your projects/activity has been been focused. (DoView.com/visual/strategicplan???
3. Putting indicators onto the Outcomes Model next to boxes in the model. How much of this we will do in the workshop depends on how much value it adds.
4. Identifying possible impact evaluation questions.
5. Using Duignan's Impact Evaluation Feasibility Check to work out which of seven major types of impact evaluation design are: appropriate, feasible, affordable and credible for answering the high-level impact evaluation questions.
6. Starting to work up the impact evaluation projects that can answer priority impact evaluation questions.
impact evaluation projects the
The workshop is a workshop, so the exact mix of these steps will depend
you have focused your activity activity has been tightly focused on the priorities for change in the systems you are working whether your activity has been focused on your priorities. This is called Line-of-Sight Analysis.
communicating will be covering a lot of material in the workshop. We would normally spend three days workshopping the material we are overviewing in this workshop. We will give you the broad outline and then you can explore the material yourselves in more detail.
1. Quick overview of what outcomes theory is - the conceptual framework and set of principles for thinking about all the issues involved in outcomes, their measurement, attribution and accountability in any area of work in any sector (http://doview.com/outcomes-theory-simplified)
2. Present the Outcomes System Diagram - this diagram provides you with the basis for coherently responding to demands that you 'prove you are making a difference to high-level outcomes'. (http://www.doview.com/outcomes-theory-simplified/outcomes-system-diagram.html)
3. Overview the Outcomes Model Rules for building outcomes DoViews (the particular type of theory of change, impact pathway, results chain, program theory, intervention logic, end-means diagram) that we use within the DoView approach
4. Reference to the Impact Evaluation Feasibility Check - a list of the seven major impact evaluation design types that can be used to establish that you are having an impact on high-level outcomes.
5. Quick introduction to DoView Software's basic features and a few advanced features.
Preparation for the workshop - 20 minutes only.
1. Video at the top of the page http://www.doview.com/visual/strategicplanning/ (90 seconds)
2. Video at http://doview.com/videos/doview31.html (2 minutes)
3. The two videos here http://www.doview.com/files/videotours2-0/part1/index.html and http://www.doview.com/files/videotours2-0/part2/index.html (10 minutes)
4. Skim the page http://doview.com/plan (4 minutes).
5. Download a trial copy of DoView onto your computer from http://doview.com/download.html (6 minutes - all going well).
6. Download the file
Materials for use in the workshop.
1. The DoView Outcomes-Focused Visual Planning Overview Materials
2. The Outcomes Model Rules
3. The DoView Training Resource
4. The Child Cancer Society DoView
models at http://doview.com/doviewlist.html in each case, if you have DoView installed you can download the DoView version of the model from the
1. Download a trial copy of DoView software from http://doview.com/download.html. It will work for the next 30 days. We will give you a registration serial number at the workshop so it will work permanently. If you have a notebook computer, make sure you have DoView installed on it and bring it to the workshop.
2. Look at this 90 second video http://www.doview.com/visual/strategicplanning/ which is about reinventing strategic planning using the DoView visual approach. In the workshop we will be showing you how we can reinvent government budgeting and planning by using the DoView visual approach. It is based on building a particular type of sector-wide logic model - a DoView sector outcomes model.
3. Look at the 2 minute video at http://doview.com/videos/doview31.html which will show you more about using DoView.
4. Could you now please look at these two 5 minute videos which take you through each of the DoView functions. http://www.doview.com/files/videotours2-0/part1/index.html and http://www.doview.com/files/videotours2-0/part2/index.html.
5. Play around in your copy DoView software on your computer to learn about the functions you have just watched in the previous two videos.
6. Read the following page and the three links showing examples which are at the bottom of it. http://doview.com/usertypes/government-budgeting.html.
7. Look at this webpage version of a DoView model http://doview.com/doviews/doc71.html. Download the DoView file from http://doview.com/doviews/doc71-attachments/doc71.doview, open it in DoView and play around with it, try to edit it.
8. Look at this webpage version of a DoView model http://doview.com/doviews/regionalhealth106.html. Download the DoView file from http://doview.com/doviews/regionalhealth106-attachments/model.doview, open it in DoView and play around with it, try to edit it.
9. Look at these rules for drawing Outcomes DoViews http://doview.com/plan/draw.html.
10. Look at how DoView can be used for planning at http://doview.com/plan.
11. Look at how DoView can be used for sector planning at http://doview.com/plan/sector.html.
12. Look through as much of the material outcomes theory at this link as you can http://www.doview.com/outcomes-theory-simplified/ on outcomes theory. If you don't have time to look at much of it, please just look at http://www.doview.com/outcomes-theory-simplified/outcomes-system-diagram.html and click on the pages beneath that.
13. If you have any questions about using DoView before the workshop please post them on http://tinyurl.com/doviewsoftwareln. If you have any questions about the overall DoView Outcomes-Focused Strategic Planning approach please post them on http://tinyurl.com/doviewplanningln.
Thank you for doing all of this preparation. It is going to make the workshop much more productive for you!